So, Web Development is getting important place in Software development. We need to consider many factors when doing website development.
- The most important factor is knowing about target audience. It will be helpful to provide more user-friendly UI (User Interface). Because different type of people will prefer different type of navigation / screen design.
- We should know which factor should be given more importance, whether it is "performance" or "look & feel" or "user-friendliness" or "cost".
-Since many people started using iPhones, it is important to make your website iPhone friendly if you want them to see your website. In this case you can provide separate CSS style sheet for iPhone and normal browsers. And you can dynamically load appropriate CSS file based on UserAgent string.
- If you are developing website for financial transaction you should think about using "https" and preventing cross-site scripting, sql injection, session-hijacking and any other security related steps.
- The very important difference between web development and other desktop applications is, we should always keep in our mind that we are working on stateless protocol. (i-e Clinet browser will not having any other relationship with webserver once after sending the web request, similarly the webserver will not have connection with client browser once after sending the response string). We should take all necessary actions (e.g use of Sessions, cookies) to maintain user session.
- We should use CSS (Cascading Style Sheet) to enable easy change of look and feel of website. You can refer this article for knowing about best practices for CSS use.
- Menu and any other repeatedly used items should be kept in separate file and it should be included in all other pages.
-Ajax should be used extensively to avoid unnecessary refresh of entire page, just for updating one part of the page.
- Loading indication should be shown whenever backend operation (database query) takes more time.
- There won't be any broken links in the website and HTML tags should follow standards. You can use w3c validation to verify it.
- Design the UI properly to improve user experience.
Apart from above practices, we need to follow all other coding standards, such as
writing clear inline comments, keeping appropriate indents for the nested loops and
appropriate naming conventions for variables.
And also, we need to write all details of lesson learnt from any issue, in a document or in a database as a Knowledge base for further/future reference by the Team.
Click here to read Best practices in QA - Software Testing
You can bookmark this blog for further reading, or you can subscribe to our blog feed